Best Coax to HDMI converters
Although it is more and more difficult to find devices without HDMI input, some people still have equipment with a coaxial cable. So what’s the problem?
Well, you can’t connect an older player without an HDMI port to a modern TV with no coaxial cable input. However, this problem can be solved quickly and quite easily - all you have to do is buy a coax to HDMI converter.
Coaxial cable, HDMI - what's going on?
Coaxial cable for many decades was the number one input for the vast majority of the media players. Invented in the late 19th century for the telephone and the radio industry, the coaxial cable was quickly adopted by the television industry in the 20th century. Its great advantage is a very simple structure - the copper inside of the cable is divided into two concentric layers separated from each other by insulation. The analog signal is transmitted along the same axis, hence the name of the cable - coaxial.
Technology, however, keeps moving forward. HDMI cable entered the market in 2002 and gradually conquered the television and computer industry. Nowadays, it is probably the most popular input in most devices, eg in laptops, DVDs, Blu-Ray players, and more and more often in tablets. The role of an HDMI cable is very simple - it transmits the digital signal. This type of cable is distinguished by a much smaller amount of interference than an analog signal transmitted eg through the above-mentioned coaxial cable.
List of the Best Coax to HDMI Converters
This Device is an HD Set Top Box Tuner Decoder. It Decodes RF signal cable QAM or off AIR ATSC and DVB-T. This Unit can decode both MPEG 2 or H.264
- HI Definition HDMI Output with embedded audio
- Decoder Supports both MPEG-2 and H.264 Video Codecs
- Compact form factor with low power consumption
- Multiple output formats for integration with Legacy Dispays
- Can be used with Non Digital Televisions
1 to 8 HDMI Digital RF Modulator with Closed Captioning is an all in one device integrating MPEG2 encoding and modulation to convert audio and video signals into ATSC, DVB-C, QAM, DVB-T, ISDB-T, RF output.
- 1-8 HDMI channels Inputs (model dependent)
- HDCP compliant works with any HDMI source like DVD Player or Cable, Satellite STB up to 1080p/60 resolution
- MPEG2 Video Encoding
- 1080p/60, 1080i, 720p, 576i, 480i Video Resolution
- Low Latency (50~100ms)
- MPEG layer 2, AAC, and DD AC3 Audio Encoding
- CC (Closed Caption), EIA 608
- DVB-C DIGITAL QAM, ATSC, DVB-T, ISDB-T RF in one device, Modulation dynamic switching
- Control Via Web-Based NMS, and easy updates Via Web
- LCD Display and front panel control
This Device is an 8 HDMI or 8 SDI Digital modulator with 8 Independent clear channels. This Unit Provides 8 HDMI or 8 SDI Clear QAM and ATSC Signals
- 8 Independent HDMI and SDI Inputs - (individually selectable for each of the 8 channels you can output)
- HDMI is HDCP compliant for use with any source
- SDI Inputs include support for Closed Caption 708
- Outputs 8 separate Clear CATV RF channels QAM / ATSC - 8VSB / DVB-T / ISDB-T (selectable in the GUI)
- RF output on each of the 8 RF channels can be individually set to a frequency and modulation standard (2 on QAM, 3 on ATSC, 4 on ISDBT, etc)
- DVB-C Annex A and B - QAM 64, QAM 256
- Supports full HD video up to 1080p/59.94/60, other resolutions included are 1080i, 720p, 480i also supported
- Low Latency supported; 3 different latency settings - 100/500/1000ms
- Video encoding rate up to 25Mbps
- MPEG2 Video Encoding
- Dolby AC3 and MPEG1 Layer 2, & AAC audio encoding
- VCT - Virtual channel number and Name supported
- Frequency - 50Mhz to 900Mhz
- NMS web interface controllable
- Easy to use web Gui Interface (setup and status)
- LED's Status on front panel shows HDMI in blue or SDI in green for easy to see video detect link
- LCD Display and front panel control buttons for setup, control and status
- Powerful processing with the best MPEG2 video encoding chip
- First High Density HDMI and SDI input modulator on the market
- Lowest cost per channel in perfect HD resolution for any application from Live Sports, House of Worship, Concerts, Theaters, Malls, Airports, Hotels, Military, Private Enterprise
This Modulator is an All In One Device Integrating HD MPEG2 encoding with AC3 Dolby Audio and Closed Captioning Input. Device Converts HD Audio and Video signals from any device into DVB-C/T / ATSC / ISDB-T RF Output. This Unit is a Digital HDMI Encoder and RF CATV ATSC Modulator with Closed Captioning Input and Network Ethernet browser contol.
- HDMI Input - HDCP compliant ( works with any HDMI device )
- 10/100 Ethernet NMS port for control, setup, and monitoring
- RF output could be set to any CATV format as QAM, ATSC, DVB-T, or ISDB-T
- RF output power is +24dbmv; enough for distributing HDTV video to 100's TV over existing coax cable network
- RF power could be controlled over the network via NMS Gui (Proprietary)
- MPEG2 video encoding
- AC3 Audio encoding
- Video bit rate 1-19.5Mbps can managed over the network
- Supports any CATV RF agile channels form 57-1000Mhz, channels 2 -135,
- Supports output resolutions up to 1080p
- Easy to set up via NMS.
- Small size and light weight
- Includes wall-mount type rack ears
- Install multiple units onto your TV system
The box converts off air antenna RF and Cable TV coax to HDMI video, it works as a decoder and digital rf to video audio converter
- Auto & Manual search, 4000channels for TV & Radio
- ATSC and DVB-C Annex B QAM 64/256
- EPG for enhanced program information, favorite channel and station list
- USB2.0 PVR for record&playback TV channels
- 16:9 full screen, 4:3 letterbox & fullscreen
- Support Teletext and DVB subtitle
- Timer On/Offsetting
- Parental guidance lock
- Full function remote control
- Low power mode
- HDMI output up to 1080p/60
- YPbPr video output up to 1080i/60
- CVBS baseband video ouput up to 480i
- ANALOG RF OUTPUT CH 3 or 4 selectable NTSC/PAL
Why do you need a coax to HDMI converter? How does it work?
For most consumers, this type of converter may seem like an unnecessary expense. Many of us, however, have older types of receivers in our cabins, campers, workshops, offices, etc. It is not worth throwing away the old device that isn't broken and works properly. However, if you want to connect your player with a coaxial cable to a slightly more modern TV or monitor with HDMI standard, you will definitely need a converter.
You can find many brands of the converters on the market. The relatively small size of the device makes the transport of the converter from one place to another very easy. This means that you can take your converter, for example from your office to the cabin or camper - one converter may be compatible with many different devices. Installation of the device is very simple and should not cause problems even for people who are not familiar with modern technology. Connect the coaxial cable and the HDMI cable to the converter. Then connect the cables to the proper devices - the coax to the device with the coaxial input, and the HDMI cable to the device with the HDMI input. Then connect the converter to the power supply and wait for the analog signal to be converted into a high-quality digital signal. Tadah! Everything should be ready so you can sit back and enjoy your favorite movie or TV show.
How to buy a coax to HDMI converter with no regrets?
You do not need to be expert when it comes down to selecting a converter, however, it is always worth spending a few moments comparing the products and their parameters. What should you pay attention to before making a final decision?
Verify the original signal of your device. There are many converters on the market - some of them are very simple, basic devices, but you can also find products offering more advanced technology. Check out all the parameters of your devices as well as the converter you want to buy because some products may not be compatible with your media players. Check the cable length, resolution, supported standards or the technology offered by the manufacturer.
Compare the price-quality ratio and choose a product that suits best your needs and financial possibilities. Check what each manufacturer offers you and how much you would have to spend on similar converters. Sometimes a higher price means not only a higher quality device, but also a wide range of accessories included in the set, e.g. power supply, cables, and all necessary installation elements. It might be a good idea to check out the online reviews of the most popular converters. Other people’s suggestions can help you choose the most suitable device. Ask your own questions on one of the popular online forums for the tech geeks if you have any doubts.
Don’t waste your time and money for the unknown, cheap converters – you may quickly regret your choice.
Coax to HDMI converter - is it worth a buy?
This will be subjective in almost every situation; but as modernity catches up with some products it's impossible to avoid. In some cases, other solutions may be better. However, coax to HDMI converters are one of the easiest solutions for people who want to connect their device with a coaxial cable input with another device that supports only HDMI technology. A converter is a portable device that can be useful for more than one media player. It is easier and cheaper to transport the converter and connect it to a different device than to buy new equipment for each HDMI TV. Buy a coax to HDMI converter and enjoy television whenever and wherever you want.